FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 17:09

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 23:11 
The old Linux myths are still there and are unlikely to go away any time soon. Those dishing out untrue statements such as you spend all your time in the Terminal or the lack of Hardware Drivers etc....is frustrating for those in the know.

For example my latest sideline project whilst prizing myself away from servicing Macs was rebuilding a HP 17" Compaq nw9440 Workstation from 2006. A quality piece of kit in its day but how would it fare 10 years on?

Opting not to go through the pain of tackling Windows Update upon a fresh installation of Windows 7 I made the decision to go with a Linux distribution.

Linux Mint 18.1 (Selena) has just been released I decided to give the 64bit Cinnamon variant a go. Now this machine has very modest specifications T7600 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, Nvidia G71GLM (Quadro FX 1500M) Graphics with 3GB DDR2 RAM (couldn't find a 2GB stick in my spare memory box which is fast becoming a lotterymust get that sorted sometime)

I digress. Not knowing how Cinnamon would run as its a bit of a heavyweight GUI I was in for a pleasant surprise. Its lightning fast. Furthermore Linux Mint automatically found ALL the Hardware drivers WiFi, Bluetooth etc. and connected to my networked printer without fuss and Full multi gesture trackpad functionality all of this out of the box so to say.

So all drivers found. No work in the Terminal. Wonderful.

Report this post

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 15:39 
Site Admin

Yeah it's happy news to say to those tsking Linux, 'um, you've not done your homework'.

PS I had the same happy results with PC Linux OS full monty, though its GUI interface has so many options initially I screwed them up. Did not need to use Terminal.

Best of all, I installed my (24+) distros all on external drives or sticks. Process is THE SAME as installing to internal hard drive, just specify the connected external drive or stick during installation.

Windows never can ape that. I can use any of the distros on any of my machines.

Report this post

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 20:11 

brainout wrote:
Windows never can ape that. I can use any of the distros on any of my machines.

There is Windows CE and Windows PE, although only the former is used for what could vaguely be described as a desktop environment.

Microsoft deliberately wants control over portable environments, however they have released Windows To Go with the newer versions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

Report this post

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 20:33 
Site Admin

Don't you have to be on Enterprise to get that?

Report this post

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 02:13 

brainout wrote:
Don't you have to be on Enterprise to get that?

Yep!

But at how atrocious Windows 10 Professional is (aka dubbed 'Home Plus' by some), there's really no other version one should use in my opinion. Otherwise you get burned.

Report this post