FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 23:52

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 09:46 

No one has complained about Unity more than myself. Being a massive fan of Gnome 2 until it was phased out in Ubuntu 11.04 many like myself felt cheated by the Unity GUI. Heavyweight, awkward to work with and unstable as hell.

Oh how I yearned for the times of Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn when Ubuntu was a lightweight Linux distribution. Back then it was less than 700mb in size now ten years after Ubuntu 7.04 it weighs it at a hefty 1.6gb download, more than doubled in size!

Unity in Ubuntu 11.04 was a massive pain to work with but Unity has now matured and is usable. Hell I used to despise KDE 4 on openSUSE when it was released but now as with Unity it is usable.

So switching to Gnome Shell as the default GUI on Ubuntu will it be a wise move or could it be another debacle such as Windows 8 in its original form?

Report this post

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 09:54 
Site Admin

I thought now you could get a distro of Ubuntu which allowed you to choose shells at boot. I got that with PC Linux OS from a few years back, but it's no longer the only one offering that. Maybe the version isn't 'pure' Ubuntu but some knock-off name. That way you can switch back and forth at boot between shells and see what you like?

Report this post

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 10:17 

Ubuntu Unity is dead: Desktop will switch back to GNOME next year
https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-t ... -to-gnome/

Although the Unity option is still there GNOME will be set as the default.

At least Canonical have recognised Ubuntu Phone is a non starter unlike Microsoft with Windows Phone which is a clearly dead.

Rather conveniently Ed Bott never mentions Windows Phone.

Report this post

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 04:09 
Site Admin

LOL yeah Ed was our dress rehearsal for Trump.

Report this post