FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:32

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 23:50 

Customers often donate their old PC's to me most of which I break down for spares but every now and again one comes along which I think what can I do with this?
Had just a machine come in today (Beige Tower) with very modest specs. Pentium III 600MHz (Coppermine) CPU, with 128mb RAM and a faulty ATI Rage 128mb Graphics card. Definitely a machine with potential though. Time to raid the spares box and dig deep. Managed to up the RAM to 376mb, replaced the Graphics card with a ATI Radeon 9250 128mb and chucked in a 10GB Quantum Fireball Hard Drive I poached from a faulty PowerMac G4.
I've been waiting for ages to find a suitable machine for running Linux Mint 3.1 Celena (based on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn) both of which are my personal favourites.
Linux Mint 3.1 complete with Beryl enabled performs exceptionally well on a machine with such modest specifications. Yes its well out of date but its from when the brilliant lightweight Gnome 2 Desktop environment was still in existence.

Linux Mint and Ubuntu were lightweight distributions. None of the bloat there is with Cinnamon or Unity which leads to the question. Compared to back then are the major Linux distributions really suitable for older hardware?

Back then the Linux user got more in the way of performance on lower specifications. Yes Ubuntu was not as user friendly but Linux Mint was.

Report this post

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 09:03 
Site Admin

That's good to know, as I have one or two Pentium III laptops. Thank you !

Report this post