FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 27 Jun 2019, 02:09

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

Post subject: Mageia
PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 12:10 
Site Admin

If I can find how to install GParted and figure out their permissions settings, this Mageia will likely become my main Linux distribution.

Download their latest testing distro here: https://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/get ... 64-DVD.iso

WARNING: the installation requires you a) be online and b) install to an internal hard disk. Most Linux distros don't require that, and there is nothing in the drakx installer to tell you that. But it bombs after an alleged successful install, if you don't do a) and b). I just lost a whole weekend trying to install it to an external hard drive or stick only to find out it only works on the machine used for the install (even tho I never install Linux using a machine that has an internal hard drive or battery).

Your major Linux distros will easily install to a stick if during classic installation you just specify the external media (esp. if only the installer media and the target are the only media present).

So for that hassle (tho maybe the internal drive can be cloned to a stick), what makes Mageia worthwhile?

* Like its parent Mandriva, it offers a control center where you can schedule the permissions instead of being prompted for them every five seconds. The control center is really drakconf but you can't download it using yum or apt-get (at least I couldn't) for other distros (Fedora, Mint, didn't try Debian yet).

*It offers better audio configuration you can't get with the standard stuff. The Also and Jack configurers don't work too well, but in the Control Center (drakconf) there are special editors so you can correct for the gain and other things which make the typical audio detectors actually work well.

*IT OFFERS ABOUT TEN DIFFERENT DESKTOP THEMES. So at signin you have a 'Menu' which if you select up pops a right-hand list of the major desktops like Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE, etc. That matters, as the packages available vary with the desktop you choose.

These were the features I loved in PCLinuxOS whose 'fullmonty' is now defunct, and it happens to also be a child of the bankrupt Mandriva as well. But it was better configured than Mageia, was easier to use, so hopefully over time Mageia will become more friendly. And at least, include GParted.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Mageia
PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 12:28 
Site Admin

Ahhh, they won't use GParted. But instead, the horrid drakdisk drakdrake, which always messes up on installs. Really crappy GUI. Soooo, I won't be using this Mangeia as my main distro. But at least being able to convert to the different desktops at signin, I can learn from and find whatever Linux name it has, see if I can get it in some other distro.

https://doc.mageia.org/mcc/3/en/content/drakdisk.html

And it keeps on wanting some 'medium' of 'Core Release'. That's why it wouldn't install to the stick or external drive, but now even on the internal it wants that. What Linux distro acts like Windows, i.e., making you insert the intallation disk?

So much potential, such bad and rude design. So won't be using this at all. If I can't get the programs I need nor updates, then forget it. I refuse to spend my life in the terminal.

Report this post