FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 12:57

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 23:48 

....call this a rant perhaps but I believe there is some truth behind the title of this article.

Its one of those things I continue to bang on about but with good cause. Ubuntu up to and including v10.10 was relatively lightweight. The same can be said of Linux Mint up to and including v11.

So whats gone wrong and where has all this bloat come from?

Heavyweight Desktop Environments The likes of Unity and Cinnamon whilst looking modern pack a punch on performance. Previously both Ubuntu and Linux Mint shipped with lightweight the Gnome 2 Desktop Environment as default and could comfortably run on a machine with 512mb RAM, 128mb Graphics and a Pentium 4 or lower. Got a Pentium III Beige Tower with 256mb RAM and 128mb Graphics running Linux Mint 3.1 and its no slouch complete with desktop effects enabled. Linux Mint 3.1 being based on Ubuntu 7.04 which was a milestone release.

The point I am making is such machines would struggle with the modern versions or most likely not run at all. Sure there are lighter Desktop Environments available such as Xfce but this could be seen as a compromise rather than the Linux user having the option to work with the Desktop Environment they would prefer.

Too Many Features

One of the plus points with certain Linux distributions is come shipped with loads of features. Linux Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu Unity, SUSE KDE......

But at what cost?

As it happens quite a large one. All three come packed with features which impact on performance in other words BLOAT

Of course this hasn't always been the case. Linux Mint has never been short on features but the bloat was not there. I always remember Sabayon 4 which was Gentoo based with the KDE 3.5 Desktop Environment. That was the heavyweight of its day with a veritable feast of features but the impact on performance was not worthy of mention and quite happy running on a Pentium 4 with 512mb RAM.

SO WHATS GONE WRONG?

Report this post

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 05:54 
Site Admin

A guy named Mike Walsh over in bleeping computer says puppy linux is still lightweight, tho you can add modules. Here's a link to his intro post:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... ux-corner/

I know what you mean about bloat, but for a Windows user, we need that GUI interface. Mint might be bloated, but its interfaces greatly resemble Windows, tho I like PCLinuxOS old interface better.

BUTTTTTTT I've spent the past two weeks getting 64-bit PCLinuxOS to work properly. It's one glitch after the next. Funny the 32-bit full monty works fine, except that KDE won't remember screen resolution.
Also, suddenly my Yum extender just disappeared from Fedora Xfce 64-bit.

Report this post

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 12:32 
Site Admin

Updating report. Fedora 25 KDE runs really well. In fact, my overheating latest Dell 6410 stays really cool under it, dunno why. It overheats even in BIOS menu, but not once Fedora goes on. That's the easiest of the KDE I've had to use, yet. They changed the update to dragora which is far better than Apper.

As usual, I just downloaded the iso, put it on DVD and then used the DVD in the 6410 without hard drive, to install it to a 2.0 SanCruzer Glide stick of 64 GB. Surprised me how fast it runs. I didn't have that fast experience with prior versions of Fedora (always installed Fedora to the same stick).

Report this post