FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 15:05

All times are UTC

Forum rules

GUESTS AND MEMBERS CAN VOTE AND POST HERE. Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots and stalkers and anti-semites will be deleted and banned without notice. Else, try to be thoughtful, protect your own privacy, don't swear much (makes one appear infantile), but I won't censor. POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 02:09 
Site Admin

Starting this thread due to some book recommendations by Eric Byler in twitter.
Seminal books he said to read are:
"The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox" or
"Reconstruction" by Eric Foner
"Redemption: The Last Battle of the Civil War"

Each one is linked, as it's in Amazon, whether new, used, or Kindle.
He said the period from 1875 is pivotal.

I'm thinking of our metering thread. Text would be Matt25:7ff at the point the 'virgins' awaken. Surely Christ covers this in some way. How, we'll have to find out by reading the history.

I have always maintained that the reason the US survived the Civil War was due to BLACK FAITH, cuz we whites had lost it. Now I'll find out if my long-held (since age 12) belief, has any validity. More to the point, the direction and significance of the text as it relates to NOW, might be much clearer, once we know this background.

Or, maybe I'm a dufus. Either way, it's important stuff to consider. Your thoughts and readings, and reactions can go here or in the metering thread, as you deem best.

Report this post

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 02:28 

None of this history was taught to me in high school (Hawai'i) or in college (Wesleyan University, although I must admit I only took one US History class). I only learned of this when I started investigating the roots of modern day political animosity & gridlock, and spoke to some top flight historians, and even some people who still hold the views of 19th century white supremacists, still read their books, and in fact GAVE me such books.

Report this post

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 03:07 
Site Admin

Well, Eric, your posts have me gobsmacked and grateful.

Here's the video you gave me in its playlist, which I just finished watching,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoo3GEf ... 8&index=15

Like Gary Johnson remarked when confronted with #BlackLivesMatter, 'SMACK ME'.

I can barely breathe right now, in shock. Will come back later. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I owe you BIG TIME.

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 01:01 

The making of that video was what smoked me. I was behind the camera, and then did the editing, for which I needed to find images. Finding the images was a history lesson in itself. It certainly brought a new perspective to things like Birtherism and the backlash that became the Donald Trump candidacy.

Report this post

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 04:12 
Site Admin

Wow, I didn't know that. I've not been the same since our tweet convo and since watching that video. I have read the first chapter of Redemption (Kindle freebie while I wait for the book to arrive). Still reeling over it. Made 7 audios on the reaction, but they are all too long and boring.

Point is, I'm grateful you responded to my query. The '3 Reconstructions' theme in the video and your posts are MUST SEE, imo.

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 21:30 
Site Admin

Bumping this up now as it's newly relevant in light of liar DT's signing.

Report this post

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 18:15 
Site Admin

Bumping this post up, seems more relevant than ever.

I also recommend reading stuff by Shelby Foote, who provides a balanced picture of the Civil War itself. Strangely relevant now, cuz everyone's polarizing needlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c ... 52OOJZOXO5

Report this post

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 23:27 

I tend to ignore the news for long stretches of time for my own sanity, but yesterday as I was browsing youtube for physics stuff, I noticed a bunch of videos on what happened at the white power rally last Saturday.

I really can't express my dissatisfaction with the direction this country is going, in a mature manor. To put it mildly, these alt-right scumbags really piss me off.

HEB 4:12
The word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and the spirit, of the joints and marrow, and is a critic of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Report this post

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 06:45 
Site Admin

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/racis ... s-history/

Report this post

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 00:28 
Site Admin

One aspect of 1960s racism which needs to be accounted: how the Draft ended up including many blacks who couldn't get out of it. Even so, the protest against the Vietnam War was largely done by whites. But protest started most strongly, by blacks who realized they were more drafted. You find that in Episode 3 and 4 of Ken Burn's Vietnam War on PBS, which you can view for free on pbs.org. They offer several versions of the same movie, some cut to omit grisly scenes.

Report this post