FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 19:46

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots and stalkers and anti-semites will be deleted and banned without notice. Else, try to be thoughtful, protect your own privacy, don't swear much (makes one appear infantile), but I won't censor. POLICE YOURSELF.



Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 08:54 
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015, 17:56
Posts: 105
If we are to pray to sanctify our food? ...

Will we need to pray again over the same food the next day when we eat the leftovers? :scratchead: :razz:

_________________
God has two dwellings:
one in heaven, and the other
in a meek and thankful heart.
Izaak Walton
(1593-1683)


Top
   
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 07:17 
User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 13:11
Posts: 383
Yes. You must clasp your hands together, bow your head, and repeatedly ask God to sanctify the leftovers (every last crumb). Don't forget to 'keep the Lord's day' on Sunday as well-- if you do anything other than lie like a vegetable you'll upset Him (clearly).

THEN you must ask God to sanctify your underwear too-- who knows what can happen if you don't. Remember to get your sins forgiven by a priest too; men are the best mediators, forget that guy Jesus; he was just a man after all like everyone else.

Bonus points if you wear holy robes and carry around charms and icons. If you pray five times a day with pointing your ass in the air you might get special favours from God, too.


Top
   
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 19:07 
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015, 17:56
Posts: 105
hupostasis wrote:

Bonus points if you wear holy robes and carry around charms and icons. If you pray five times a day with pointing your ass in the air you might get special favours from God, too.


Only the gods of this world like it when worshipers point their butts in the air. :grin:

BTW... my original comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.

_________________
God has two dwellings:
one in heaven, and the other
in a meek and thankful heart.
Izaak Walton
(1593-1683)


Top
   
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 09:57 
User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 13:11
Posts: 383
Genez wrote:
BTW... my original comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.


Yeah anyone reading it should know (hopefully!).

The concepts of "sanctify" and "repent" are nonexistent to the Bible.


Top
   
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 04:28 
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015, 17:56
Posts: 105
hupostasis wrote:
Genez wrote:
BTW... my original comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.


Yeah anyone reading it should know (hopefully!).

The concepts of "sanctify" and "repent" are nonexistent to the Bible.


Where did you just go?

_________________
God has two dwellings:
one in heaven, and the other
in a meek and thankful heart.
Izaak Walton
(1593-1683)


Top
   
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 14:16 
User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 13:11
Posts: 383
Genez wrote:
hupostasis wrote:
Genez wrote:
BTW... my original comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.


Yeah anyone reading it should know (hopefully!).

The concepts of "sanctify" and "repent" are nonexistent to the Bible.


Where did you just go?


The english word 'sanctify' has implications that are not suitable for Bible doctrine, so does repent. Repent or re-pennance has nothing to do with metanoia. Therefore both are related in that way.

So you know, if anyone asks to 'sanctify' anything it's automatically a point of humour.


Top
   
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 04:47 
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015, 17:56
Posts: 105
hupostasis wrote:

The english word 'sanctify' has implications that are not suitable for Bible doctrine, so does repent. Repent or re-pennance has nothing to do with metanoia. Therefore both are related in that way.

So you know, if anyone asks to 'sanctify' anything it's automatically a point of humour.


Concerning, 1 Timothy 4:4-5.

The context had to do with food to be made clean/sanctified through prayer. Clean, as in "kosher." They had no concept of germs back then. The cleanliness spoken of food held a spiritual connotation. That is why sanctify was used.

People today who pray over junk food and think its now clean are going to reap what they sow because of their ignorance of what the Word was speaking about. Foods were considered clean and unclean according to religious standards, not health. Praying over bad food is going to lead to obesity and worse.

_________________
God has two dwellings:
one in heaven, and the other
in a meek and thankful heart.
Izaak Walton
(1593-1683)


Top
   
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 20:41 
User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 13:11
Posts: 383
Genez wrote:
Concerning, 1 Timothy 4:4-5.

The context had to do with food to be made clean/sanctified through prayer. Clean, as in "kosher." They had no concept of germs back then. The cleanliness spoken of food held a spiritual connotation. That is why sanctify was used.

People today who pray over junk food and think its now clean are going to reap what they sow because of their ignorance of what the Word was speaking about. Foods were considered clean and unclean according to religious standards, not health. Praying over bad food is going to lead to obesity and worse.


Hey Genez,

The English definition of 'sanctification' that's used in our translations has nothing to do with the concept of OT believers asking God to keep food safe. Which is precisely what I was getting at. So anyone asking 'for sanctification' has a few cogs falling out of their head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctification <-- total B.S. with no place in the Bible. 'holy' and 'repent' are buzzwords.


Top
   
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 01:19 
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015, 17:56
Posts: 105
hupostasis wrote:

The English definition of 'sanctification' that's used in our translations has nothing to do with the concept of OT believers asking God to keep food safe.


It had to do with "ritually clean"... not "safe," as you put it. That is why sanctify was a word to use.

Because of the Law of Moses certain foods were thought to make a man spiritually unclean. Unlike your understanding, they had no concept of germs and disease like we do today. That is why Paul would later declare that all foods clean. Paul did that after the Law was nullified. For "clean and unclean" foods were a religious matter under the Law, not a health concern. Hence..."sanctify."

Please let me know if you understand my point. So far, it appears you are thinking along entirely different lines.

_________________
God has two dwellings:
one in heaven, and the other
in a meek and thankful heart.
Izaak Walton
(1593-1683)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited