FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 00:47

All times are UTC

Forum rules

GUESTS AND MEMBERS can post here.
Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

Post subject: Psalm 15 Meter
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 05:05 

I'm trying to memorize Psalm 15 in Hebrew, so I decided to meter it, since its so short. I'm pretty sure the total count is 119, but I'm not certain about the elisions. The name YWHW appears twice in this psalm. The first occurrence as Yehowah, the second occurrence as Yehwah. I don't know why they wouldn't be the same, so I went with Yehowah, and elided emeth to 'meth. The aleph in emeth is so short, its easy to swallow when reciting quickly.

Attachments:
Psalm 15 meter III.pdf [53.62 KiB]
Downloaded 42 times
Psalm 15 meter II.pdf [53.48 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times
Psalm 15 meter I.pdf [53.9 KiB]
Downloaded 36 times

HEB 4:12
The word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and the spirit, of the joints and marrow, and is a critic of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Last edited by Anonynomenon on 29 Oct 2017, 19:56, edited 4 times in total.
Report this post

Post subject: Re: Psalm 15 Meter
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 06:48 
Site Admin

For verse 1, I get the same 24 using Yehwah. Here's the official parser in BW
miz•môr lüdäwìd yühôâ mî-yägûr Bü´ohóleºkä mî|-yiš•Kön Bühar qod•šeºkä
2..............3.............2.........3...............5.....................3....................2.........4

v.4, starting at syll 67, again the official seminary parser used, I get your 83 by end of kabod, using YeHWaH
nib•zè Bü|`ênäyw nim•´äs wü´et-yir•´ê yhwh(´ädönäy) yükaBBëd niš•Ba` lühära` wülö´ yämìr
2..........3...................2.............1...........2..........2..........................2(=83).......2............3.............2........2(=92)

So far it seems the 119 total holds. Not sure what these values mean, tho.

Report this post

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 21:52 

I attached a new version of the Psalm 15 meter. The sevening is still the same, I just made a few changes. The two occurrences of יְ֭הֹוָה are 2 syllables each, קָדְשֶֽׁךָ is now 4 syllables, and וְ֝חֶרְפָּ֗ה is now 4 syllables.

The word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and the spirit, of the joints and marrow, and is a critic of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Report this post

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 16:53 
Site Admin

I get 14 sylls after syll 33 but as 8 and 6, so no need to elide emeth.

Still proofing the rest. I think the second YehWah clause should be 10 not 9, to match the first one, and make it 84 total, a sevening matching Psalm 90. But that means eliding what follows by -1, to end with the 119. Not sure where that can be done.

Maybe here:
וְל֣אֹ יָמִֽר׃
Three syllables, not 4 (lo yamir, wa silent shewa)

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 19:59 

I posted version 3 in the OP. This time, I left the first YHWH as a stand alone clause, in the same way that you would when writing a letter to someone. Then I elided mi-yishcon, and expanded emeth back to 2 syllables to avoid confusing 'truth' with 'death'.

Report this post