FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 24 Jul 2019, 06:38

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 18:44 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057
I quote from Microsoft's page:
Microsoft wrote:
As of October 30, 2015, the Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro Pack (which upgraded Windows 8 Home or 8.1 Home to Windows 8 Pro or 8.1 Pro, with Media Center) and Media Pack (which added Media Center to Windows 8 Pro or 8.1 Pro) are no longer available for purchase from Microsoft. Previously purchased feature pack licenses will still work, and valid feature packs may still be available for purchase from third-party retailers. Support for these products is still available.

Wow. So if you need to upgrade a client's Windows 8 Home machine to Pro to join it to a domain, you can't. Screw you. You'll have to purchase a whole separate version of Windows and reinstall everything.

And if you ever want to purchase the Windows 8 Media Pack (Windows 8 by default cannot play DVDs out of the box), you are entirely screwed for any official options by Microsoft.
--Of course you can install and use VLC player, which I highly recommend. But still... the fact that Microsoft drops their official options is insane.

It looks like Microsoft really wants people on Windows 10-- else, they wouldn't have done this. Windows 8 is a great OS in my opinion so... it's kind of sad they axed upgrade options. You can still get the pro packs from 3rd party vendors, but the fact Microsoft doesn't officially sell them means they have no interest in it anymore. I couldn't find any info if this also applies to VLSC and/or Windows 7 pro packs. I could always find out but I'll just assume no.

Report this post