FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 23:38

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Same rules as in other forums: spammers, stalkers, anti-semites will be booted and banned without warning.

Post subject: Win7 install/reinstall
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 02:59 
Site Admin

EDIT: the url below no longer works. The user must have removed the video from vimeo. Unfortunately I can't remember who 'BC' is (shoulda been bleeping computer). If I find a worthy video to update this post, I will edit again.

This post is on a live tutorial video with privacy tips. Great video by BC on essential installation steps for Windows 7, here. Turn up the sound. Here, emphasis is security and privacy on bare-metal install before you even install network drivers. So before connecting with MSFT. Notice carefully how he turns off all the phoning home features, esp. Windows Updates etc. This is vital for protecting your computer from some later slipped-in MSFT telemetry.

You can always seek updates to Window 7 manually, but if you follow the video steps, MSFT will not be contacting your machine (you'd have to re-enable services and GPO settings, or bypass them on an ad hoc basis, at your own end). So you regain control of your own machine. :thumbup:

So you can also see step by step, how to create a Virtual Box and in it, to install Win7.

Now, whatever other OS you want to install, will be very similar.

Report this post

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 18:03 
Site Admin

Here are REINSTALL tips, from sevenforums.

Report this post

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 18:13 
Site Admin

Click here for the seven forums steps for MBR restoration.

Click here to create the Recovery Partition.

Doesn't seem as though you can make the recovery partition bootable, see here. It's designed to work with the MBR, hence the need to restore the MBR to use the recovery partition.

Click here for MSFT's own steps (not very helpful, but not useless).

How-to-Geek's instructions include screenshots, here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 10:01 

Just installed Windows 8 original release in Parallels Desktop 9 on OS X Snow Leopard. I have found the performance of Windows 8 in a virtual environment to be better than Windows 7.

The original release of Windows 8 is a frankenstein of an operating system but its perfect inside a virtual environment.

Report this post

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 12:29 
Site Admin

Would that be due to Win8 being less graphic-intensive?

Report this post

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 21:59 

Do you still have the video in the first post? thanks in advance.

Report this post

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 01:11 

brainout wrote:
Would that be due to Win8 being less graphic-intensive?

When Windows 7 is ran with the 'classic theme' it disables WDM disabling V-Sync, which leads to a performance drop, graphically. As Windows 8 and beyond don't support the classic theme, my guess would be users are forced to use WDM and thus perceive better performance. Otherwise, Windows 7 will outperform 8 and 10.

Report this post

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 10:37 
Site Admin

kevla wrote:
Do you still have the video in the first post? thanks in advance.

Wow, I don't know what happened to it. Not my video. Will troubleshoot and edit this post later afterwards. Thank you for the heads-up!

EDIT: I can't remember who I meant by 'BC', nor does the video exist. I searched in Google on possible videos, but don't find any good ones.

Win7 installs best if some other OS is there first. I accidently put it on two machines simply by inserting the wrong CD (thinking I was installing XP instead). Is there some particular part you need help on? If 'yes', the folks at bleepingcomputer are sterling, and don't want your money. A few are horrible, but they crow about how Windows 10 is the greatest thing since God, so you'll know how to avoid them.

Report this post