FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:44

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Same rules as in other guest/member forums.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 14:48 
Site Admin

New article, here. I don't use Apple, but many others do, and this will be a major IT issue from now on, especially for the medical community.

Report this post

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 06:01 

Windows is (still) more flexible because of Active Directory and Group Policy which isn't a thing on OS X. Using an API instead of dedicated software for remote management is a good thing, so-- I don't find that to be an issue. Microsoft is just *behind*.

The medical community (at least hospitals around here) were still running on XP and just switching over to Windows 7. So, they're on a completely different planet that I think will take another 10 - 20 years to fully switch over.

Report this post

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 12:53 
Site Admin

But isn't it Active Directory which makes Windows more vulnerable? Am Asking, not disputing. I don't know any sysadmin stuff...

Report this post

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 03:38 

brainout wrote:
But isn't it Active Directory which makes Windows more vulnerable? Am Asking, not disputing. I don't know any sysadmin stuff...

It's more secure because Active Directory accounts don't have credentials that are stored locally in the SAM database. So you can't use ntpasswd to reset the password on a local account like you would on a domain account. In fact, I am not sure how you would get around it other than connecting the machine to the domain controller and resetting the password that way.

It's also entirely mandatory for corporate environments (otherwise you'd be running as a giant workgroup). You need to be able to disable user accounts at a second's notice, so they can't log in or access data they shouldn't.

There used to be other solutions to active directory, but all of them have become defunct due to Windows being the predominant OS, so Microsoft's solution is the only solution. Regardless if it wasn't secure.

Report this post