FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 23 Aug 2019, 11:04

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Same rules as elsewhere in the forums.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 19:17 
Site Admin

Dunno if you read Flowers for Algernon, but it was a runaway best seller, when it first came out. This movie is based on it, and is a tear jerker. I didn't see the remake, and I can't find this movie to BUY, for Region 1; but it is in Youtube, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIycbBrt3u4

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 23:41 

Fantastic movie. I think the real golden age of cinema was from the early 60s to the mid 80s. Yeah, there were a lot of duds, but the diamonds from that period were stellar.

There's a lot of things going on in "Charly." My favorite scene was when he showed the guys he could operate the dough mixing machine perfectly on his first try. The look of almost abject horror on one of his coworker's faces is just priceless. Like, maybe, this whole time Charly was secretly very smart and the joke was on them.

And the scene where he addresses the scientists kind of showed that "smart" is looked at more as a merit badge than anything else. True smarts is kind of horrifying. lol

Overall, I think the movie is a metaphor of the aging process. We come into this world with clinched fists and leave the world with open palms. It's that bit in between that is overly and unnecessarily complicated.

"You seem to think because you have chicken to go you're in luck."---G. Lightfoot

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 00:24 
Site Admin

Yes, agreed. And also your tagline fits in. All this effort and learning and achievement but in the end? The Conqueror Worm.