FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 05:27

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Guests and members can post here. Same rules as in other forums, not moderated.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 03:06 

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=25224

According to that Wine entry, BibleWorks did start up under Wine. I'm going to be trying BibleWorks under Solaris with CDE, and will report back here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 05:34 
Site Admin

CDE or KDE?

And I do have the paid version of Crossover from CodeWeavers; but have not yet installed it or tested it.

Report this post

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 07:51 
Site Admin

Just in case others in a better forum than this one are interested, I made a post on BW with Wine, in bleepingcomputer. In case that post is deleted because someone there finds it offensive, the post is replicated below.

Quote:
Someone just posted this link in my frankforum, but it seems better it be posted here, re the versions of Bibleworks which can be made to run on versions of Wine in Linux. The WineHQ link was provided, and you can click here to access it directly.

I've not yet installed any of my Bibleworks versions on Linux, so cannot vouch for the claim. Since it's an academic's dream software (especially for exegetes and pastors), I thought it would be important to put the link here, so someone can find it in BC.

There are posts in the Bibleworks forums also on this topic, especially with reference to Ubuntu installation, here. So you can see there is a great deal of interest, and eventually someone in BC will want a ready list.

When I get a chance to install it (I have versions 5, 8, 9 and the rules for installation are per user, not per machine so there is no limit on the number of machines nor on the Linux being internal) -- then I too will report.

Finally, if someone objects to this topic, please delete it. I have copied this post in frank forum, again so people can search the web and find it.

Report this post

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 05:04 

CDE (since it's an old style GUI that I prefer). This will be delayed as Solaris apparently is temperamental burning to USB sticks... so I'll have to pop it on a physical DVD *sigh* -- as you probably may imagine I only use CD-ROMs.
I might just try linux in the meantime.

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 22:01 
Site Admin

BTW, there are a lot of posts in that thread in bleepingcomputer now. I forgot to go look back for the replies! Also posted that thread into Bibleworks thread, here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showth ... -with-Wine

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 17:29 

Yeah I heard about Xiphos-- it doesn't look like you can customize it like e-sword. I use both e-sword and bibleworks simultaneously. e-sword for the primary viewing, and then bibleworks for the 'finer details'. This is due to the fact the BibleWorks interface is fairly clunky and I can't get it to 'display' like e-sword (where each verse is a separate line). Even if I could because I have it displaying up to five different languages it wouldn't be very... practical. So two works best for me.

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 21:51 
Site Admin

Understood. Many prefer e-sword. Back in the 1990's, I used to be in chat with one of its creators, who if I recall was a Vietnam vet. Bibleworks is clunky. I just got used to it, and the ease of mousing over words with the Auto-info window. Version 5 is better than the later ones, so I keep using it, but 9 has the mss facsimiles, which no one else has.

BTW, TDNT aka Big Kittle (which you'll hear Thieme mention) is in Accordance, so you don't have to get it on Logos. The Accordance version is pretty decent, far better than Logos. I don't know if I can use Wine to run it in Linux. Then again, you can now get Big Kittle in paperback or hardback, and also TDOT, at Ebay for pennies on the dollar. I've got Big Kittle on hardback and over half of TDOT (for the Hebrew) on hardback.

I've not yet tried Xiphos. But if it operates on Linux and if not all of Bibleworks will do so, that's an important addition to the arsenal of Bible stuff to use.

Report this post