FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 19:59

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 23:29 

There's a huge problem with the KJV and many typical translations of the period (including the Douay-Rheims, Geneva, Wycliffe etc). In fact, it may have been John Wycliffe who started the trend since you can find his translation mirroring the same mythical creatures.

Cockatrice:
Quote:
Isaiah 11:8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice's den.
Isaiah 14:29 Rejoice not thou, whole Palestina, because the rod of him that smote thee is broken: for out of the serpent's root shall come forth a cockatrice, and his fruit shall be a fiery flying serpent.
Isaiah 59:5 They hatch cockatrice' eggs, and weave the spider's web: he that eateth of their eggs dieth, and that which is crushed breaketh out into a viper.

Dragon:
Quote:
Isaiah 51:9 Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?
Jeremiah 51:34 Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon hath devoured me, he hath crushed me, he hath made me an empty vessel, he hath swallowed me up like a dragon, he hath filled his belly with my delicates, he hath cast me out.
Ezekiel 29:3 Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.

Unicorn:
Quote:
Numbers 23:22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.
Numbers 24:8 God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.
Job 39:9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
Job 39:10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
Psalm 29:6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
Psalm 92:10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Any sane person will tell you that cockatrices, unicorns and dragons *do not* exist in the Bible, and in fact many atheists use these antique English Bibles as ammunition to prove the Bible is a 'fairly tale'. If the KJV is somehow now the exclusive 'inspired' Word of God, there is *no* excuse for there to be mythical creatures in it; especially since the *original* supposed 'corrupt' manuscripts do not make reference to any of these. Any arguments to draw out long-winded and complicated explanations don't cut it, if KJV-onlyists sasy they are 'errors', well then they've just proved their inspired word is, not inspired. The harder the argument is to support when it's obviously wrong, the more bizarre the 'answers' become, this is especially true for "biblical" unitarianism.

And what about the atheists? If they listen to people who say the KJV is infallible, well, they've just proven the Bible is a fantasy after all. The KJV-onlyist movement makes it impossible to respond to MANY arguments presented by opposing denominations and belief systems; since the majority of issues are caused from translations.

To conclude, I imagine most KJV-onlyists don't know what a 'cockatrice' is, well, go play some Dungeons & Dragons to familiarize yourself (punny).

Report this post