Formatting floppy diskettes in Windows 10

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
hupostasis

Formatting floppy diskettes in Windows 10

15 Oct 2015, 03:19

There seems to be a problem in Windows 10 when formatting floppy disks. Explorer.exe completely resets itself disallowing a format to any write or non-write protected diskette. It doesn't even attempt to try.

Another oddity is that I couldn't get Windows 10 to read any diskettes that had [good] data on them. And sometimes Windows 10 seeks the floppy drive for no reason at random intervals throughout the day. Go figure.

I don't know of any solution to get around this. I am also not sure if virtual floppy drives are affected as well. The best option would be just to use an older version of Windows to format your diskettes.

brainout
Site Admin

Re: Formatting floppy diskettes in Windows 10

15 Oct 2015, 12:27

Well, maybe the new build is bad, but I didn't have trouble with build 10240 which activated. I plugged in a D630 internal floppy bay (I use them as external floppy drives, plug and play for all my machines) -- and it worked fine. But I didn't extensively test. We're talking 3.5" floppies, right? And all my hardware is 2012 or prior, so maybe that's a factor. The Win10 is on a Dell Latitude 6510 i5 4GB, and the Win10 is 64-bit. But again, I didn't test the files extensively, just plugged in and the files were readable.

hupostasis

01 Nov 2015, 00:02

The machine in question is a Dell Optiplex from around 2006 / 2007. The internal Floppy Drive (not an external USB one) worked fine under Windows 7, but the functionality has been completely broken under Windows 10.

Not a big deal since any Windows beyond W2K is generally poor at writing diskettes, but if someone only has [one] computer to write diskettes that has Windows 10, then they're going to be in a pickle.

brainout
Site Admin

01 Nov 2015, 00:19

Okay, thanks for the info. So then the removal of functionality maybe only applies to machines which still have inbuilt floppies. Even so, there are a million reasons to avoid Win10 like the plague, so this is just one more.

hupostasis

07 Nov 2015, 20:17

Update: the internal floppy diskette drive is now working on Windows 10. No rhyme or reason, it just started working. But it could also stop working again like a lot of software on my computer.

It should have just worked in the first place out of the box...

brainout
Site Admin

07 Nov 2015, 21:16

Okay, thanks. MSFT did say they removed functionality, but clearly they didn't or did and now are returning it. Too many businesses which are over 30 years old need it.

hupostasis wrote:Update: the internal floppy diskette drive is now working on Windows 10. No rhyme or reason, it just started working. But it could also stop working again like a lot of software on my computer.

It should have just worked in the first place out of the box...

DenverEd

09 Feb 2018, 18:36

Format Floppy Disk with Windows 10:

With my Mitsumi USB Floppy Drive, I can read my 3.5" floppy disks, delete files, create files, but I cannot FORMAT a disk to remove any sensitive data. Tech Support at MicroCenter says there is no way to format in Windows 10.

Does anyone know of a way to get a FORMAT to work?

brainout
Site Admin

12 Feb 2018, 00:52

Sure you can do it, they lie. I bought an external floppy drive for $5 at Amazon, plugged it into Win10 and it formatted just fine. It offers to format when you put the disk in.

But I stopped using Win10 a year ago. Even so, can't imagine it would have cancelled that feature. You should still be able to format a: from the command line.