what Windows 10 glitches do you have

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
hupostasis

what Windows 10 glitches do you have

30 Sep 2015, 06:38

So my computer at work (running Windows 10) is starting to exhibit strange behaviours. I thought I would share them.

#1 when I lock and unlock my computer, sometimes it changes my main monitor to a different one, and also changes the order of my four monitors (starting from top to bottom instead of left to right). Why Windows 10 would even consider that alternative is insane. Since my monitors are portrait it makes even less sense...
#2 the IE in Windows 10 (which I have to use for sharepoint) graphically distorts the close and maximize buttons rendering them unclickable
#3 sometimes windows 10 stops responding to scroll bars when I apply too much pressure on my scroll stick-- I guess it doesn't like my mouse's driver.
#4 sometimes window drop-downs appear on different windows (lets say I have a field to expand, it magically appears on a different monitor).
#5 sometimes I have to click a text field twice for it to register so I can start editing it-- instead of once! Then, sometimes when I do click it twice it deselects itself. Completely inconsistent without rhyme or reason.
#6 for whatever reason using Ctrl+C is extremely unreliable and I have to copy with the context menus. Ugh!

Needless to say all of these issues just started happening at once. Going to run updates and rip out drivers and reinstall. Good thing the windows 10 updater on my main computer self-destructed when I forcefully changed the OS language; I would have downgraded it back to Windows 7 inevitably anyways... I didn't realize how volatile it is towards my alternative human interface devices.

brainout
Site Admin

Re: what Windows 10 glitches do you have

30 Sep 2015, 06:47

If you're interested, there's an entire forum on this kind of stuff at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10-support/. I don't now how to solve glitches, but they usually do.

#4 I can solve: it's due to Extended Desktop. Intel HD Graphics or Windows, not sure which, always assume that the 2nd screen is the one to get popups. Often if I forget to revert back to one monitor at shutdown, but don't have all monitors on the next time I turn on the machine, I get a black screen on my monitor. Then I know it's displaying the menu on the other monitor(s).

You're reporting this problem after lock screen? Or all the time? Try turning off Extended Monitor and just use one monitor, see if the problem continues. Or, with Intel Graphics, reposition your monitors and designate first and second, etc. as you want, then maybe (if you have it as an option) create a preset so you can just click on the preset, the next time.

You cannot fix this problem in Windows proper. Whatever fixes it now, Windows will not 'remember'. True for XP forward, unless some new Insider build has changed it.

As for the glitches I have run into personally, there are too many to list, yet they are all related to the dysfunctional DESIGN of Windows, so there's no way to fix them. I didn't have driver or card issues at all. Installation was smooth. But then, the Insider installer was much better than the official one released to the public. I would NEVER use that latter one. Important to make an iso, not merely some usb, as the latter often won't boot.

hupostasis

30 Sep 2015, 07:04

brainout wrote:If you're interested, there's an entire forum on this kind of stuff at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10-support/. I don't now how to solve glitches, but they usually do.

#4 I can solve: it's due to Extended Desktop. Intel HD Graphics or Windows, not sure which, always assume that the 2nd screen is the one to get popups. Often if I forget to revert back to one monitor at shutdown, but don't have all monitors on the next time I turn on the machine, I get a black screen on my monitor. Then I know it's displaying the menu on the other monitor(s).

You're reporting this problem after lock screen? Or all the time? Try turning off Extended Monitor and just use one monitor, see if the problem continues. Or, with Intel Graphics, reposition your monitors and designate first and second, etc. as you want, then maybe (if you have it as an option) create a preset so you can just click on the preset, the next time.

You cannot fix this problem in Windows proper. Whatever fixes it now, Windows will not 'remember'. True for XP forward, unless some new Insider build has changed it.

As for the glitches I have run into personally, there are too many to list, yet they are all related to the dysfunctional DESIGN of Windows, so there's no way to fix them. I didn't have driver or card issues at all. Installation was smooth. But then, the Insider installer was much better than the official one released to the public. I would NEVER use that latter one. Important to make an iso, not merely some usb, as the latter often won't boot.

Actually I set monitor #2 (out of my four) as my main. And Windows 10 changes it to Monitor #1 and then simultaneously changes the order of my monitors in 3D space affecting where my cursor has to go to jump to the next one. I have an ATI video card with four DVI inputs (I don't use intel video since it's all based on the i740 which I dislike).

At any rate I don't care too much. My personal computers work flawlessly (because they're not win10)

hupostasis

29 Nov 2015, 17:51

My Window 10 problems got worse and worse. Microsoft Office applications couldn't work anymore, even after repair/reinstallation. My mouse would sometimes just stop working, my keyboard would randomly have keys held down. I fixed the monitor issue by updating the video driver... but then I had everything else break a few weeks later. It's strange that computer had so many issues with Win10, since I've had it on ancient computers that took it no problem (first gen core2duo, first gen mobile coreduo).

I switched the computer back to Win 8.1, works great.

brainout
Site Admin

29 Nov 2015, 19:21

What model machine, manufacturer, specs? So others can know what kind of specs don't work?

hupostasis

29 Nov 2015, 21:30

Lenovo ThinkStation with the Xeon option (it is a discontinued model).