Windows 10 Not Optional?

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

Windows 10 Not Optional?

12 Nov 2015, 23:48

Quote from article, TechRepublic:

Users will still need to confirm the installation manually for it to continue. If they choose not to proceed, Korst said "the customer will have the ability todelay it for some period".

He was unable to clarify how long users would be able to delay the upgrade for but added that people who didn't like Windows 10 would be able to roll back to their previous OS within 31 days.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/mas ... microsoft/
"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'---Jesus Christ

"You seem to think because you have chicken to go you're in luck."---G. Lightfoot

brainout
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 Not Optional?

13 Nov 2015, 03:21

Wow, I missed that distinction. REALLY REALLY important! This needs to be stressed. Have you posted like this elsewhere? Try copying your post or linking it in Notebook Review, or in magazine comments, to keep your privacy. Clearly TechRepublic didn't catch the importance, but YOU did.

For what it's worth, I copied your post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... ?p=3862864

13 Nov 2015, 05:51

Yeah, it kind of jumped out at me when I read it. I've been planning on switching to Linux ever since I heard about Windows 10, but thought I had more time. Now I'm not so sure. Sounds like I have until January. Guess I'll be taking a crash course in Linux over the holiday season. Ho, ho, ho? No.

MS really is a pain.
"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'---Jesus Christ

"You seem to think because you have chicken to go you're in luck."---G. Lightfoot

brainout
Site Admin

13 Nov 2015, 07:21

I don't have time or patience to learn it. My bad. So I just made Linux sticks and use them in my Windows machine, to avoid needing Windows update, viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6 .

Later on I'll learn it. As it stands, using Wine I was able to install MS Office 2003 in Mint, Fedora, PCLinuxOS. And using DOSbox, was able to use Lotus 123 version 2.01, which is core to my operation.

Just so you know, there are quick alternatives for now. Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird (a knock off of Outlook Express), all operate natively in either Windows or Linux, and SYNCH. Yay.

13 Nov 2015, 14:40

Yeah. I run Firefox right now. I'm just so disgusted with MS that my ultimate goal is to not have Windows on my machines at all. I don't trust them. Period.

hupostasis

14 Nov 2015, 02:36

Well Microsoft states that the extended support for Windows 7 ends in 2020 and that mainstream support for Windows 8 ends in 2018:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

So I don't think they'd automatically roll out upgrades prior to that point (and it would only be possible if you have automatic updates enabled).

Microsoft is alienating its power users a fair bit so I imagine more will migrate to OS X and Linux.