Will Windows 10 cause more people to use Linux?

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
hupostasis

Will Windows 10 cause more people to use Linux?

14 Nov 2015, 04:18

This is a question I've been thinking about recently; while many have different interpretations on Windows 10, these seem to be the most common problems with the operating system:
#1 Privacy (re: questionable services that cannot be disabled without manual unsupported modifications)
#2 Reduction in control (re: forced automatic updates)
#3 Disregard for legacy software / hardware (re: issues with GPUs)
#4 Instability (re: programs not working correctly)
#5 Lack of customization (re: no custom solid colours available for backgrounds without registry editing)

While critics severely mock up privacy concerns to conspiracy theories, and it's true conspiracy theorists chalk up things out of proportion, there are concerns I have with my personal data that have nothing to do with new world order / illuminati garbage.
A) Microsoft has ZERO right over my proprietary data / they are NOT allowed to hand over any of my data to third parties. Why? If I have trade secret information or source files into the hands of third parties, that can give them a competitive edge putting me at a disadvantage. So I do not agree with the horrible EULA.
B) My operating system should accommodate the option to not persistently store unique information, like browser history. If my laptop were to get stolen this information can be extracted (and since Windows' encryption capabilities are horrible and the SAM database can be cracked faster than a tin of sardines, it's important to me). Persistent data encryption can also slow the computer down a bit.
C) Windows 10 reduces a lot of customization, you can't choose a custom solid colour for your background without editing the registry? GIVE ME A BREAK.
D) it's hard to keep track of everything that Windows is doing of its own accord out of your control (hibernation instead of regular shut down? Keeping track of my location? Logging key phrases I type? Keeping a detailed track of my computer's history?) It's possible to turn off most, if not all of that. But it's hard to keep track of and manage-- especially if you're installing Windows 10 on multiple computers. And there's no guarantee it won't re-enable itself with an update, and the services are persistent and will restart themselves. There needs to be a giant list to choose what you want and don't want. This doesn't exist so I can't possibly manage Microsoft's automation that can potentially harm my business, my individual privacy and my custom preferences.

---

Back to the original question-- I think there will be a greater shift to Linux with power users specifically. Microsoft may aggressively enforce DRM to combat piracy. While piracy is wrong, enforcing systems into a "lock down" mode once pirated software is detected is violating privacy. Not to mention, what if it flags a false positive like an antivirus flagging a false positive virus?

So running on the assumption of privacy, freedom and control-- I think it's safe to say Linux will finally get more attention.