Windows 10 big updates

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
hupostasis

Windows 10 big updates

19 Nov 2015, 09:10

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperie ... g_LatestPC

As per the insider program (which I am a part of), some new features to Windows 10 were added.

It looks like the xbox is finally being converted to Windows (which is something Ed Fries mentioned that Bill Gates always wanted-- Gates wants *everything* to run Windows):
Windows 10 also starts rolling out to Xbox One today and select mobile phones soon.

Regarding performance:
Performance in everyday tasks, such as boot time now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device.

Unfortunately they don't provide us with any statistics, and they don't mention if this is with or without the pseudo-hibernation.

Regarding Cortana:
Cortana can also now keep track of your event and movie bookings too, sending you helpful reminders to know where to go and get there on time, plus the option to book and track an Uber**.

I suppose it's helpful if people use Cortana for calendar items (although there's starting to become an over-saturation of devices that can be used for calendars and reminders, I don't think we need more)

Regarding "Edge" (also known as not-IE):
Microsoft Edge offers improved performance and security, along with tab preview, which allows you to hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites without leaving the page you’re on. Microsoft Edge now syncs your Favorites and Reading list items across devices so you can easily get back to the content you’re interested in most. And, Cortana will now notify you of the best coupons** from your favorite retailers such as Staples, Macys and Best Buy when shopping in Microsoft Edge.

The feature in Edge to have coupons plastered in your face should be optional. It's no different from Canonical's Ubuntu spamming Amazon ads based on what you type. This is the problem. When your operating system is designed to do things that you don't want. I don't want an advertisement system in my operating system or any of its corresponding core applications. Wouldn't be as bad if MS Edge was optional and not preinstalled on the system by default.

Regarding I.T. administration:
Our IT Pros know they can offer more. With this first major update to Windows 10, we’re empowering them to do so—with the first platform which spans all device types, enables management of both corporate owned and BYOD, and upgrades existing devices. Windows 10 is already actively running on more than 110 million devices including 12 million business PCs, and is compatible with the past while embracing our new way of working.

I would debate Microsoft's estimations. None of our clients are switched over to Windows 10 yet (only Windows 7 and Windows 8). And a lot of software is broken on Windows 10 or unsupported still. So 12 million business PCs could be PCs in non-corporate environments, or just straight up home user computers.

Regarding Azure AD services:
Azure Active Directory Join, empowers IT to maintain one directory, enabling people to have one login and securely roam their Windows settings and data across all of their Windows 10 devices. AAD Join also enables any machine to become enterprise ready with a few simple clicks by anyone in the organization.

The Azure AD synchronization tools are fairly temperamental, and one irritating thing is certain attributes on Office 365 profiles have to be edited directly on the DC objects on the DC. Come on... there should be two-way synchronization-- BUT THERE ISN'T AND MICROSOFT IGNORES THIS FACT.
Oh, and the fact that the Azure Powershell sign-in services module is programmed with a critical error that requires a registry edit for the installation to work properly--OR, by installing the beta version.

brainout
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 big updates

19 Nov 2015, 14:02

Here's Mary Foley's update on that, with extras re Windows Mobile.