Windows Mobile Tanking?

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
brainout
Site Admin

Windows Mobile Tanking?

19 Nov 2015, 10:53

Latest ArsTechnica article, here.

MS fanboy Thurott's article, here.

The betanews critique, here.

The comments for both articles are actually more informative than the articles. That tends to be the norm, for computer articles on the web. Wealth of info in the comments, only vague stuff, in the article itself. :coffee: :expressogreen: :drunkpals: :popcorndrink:

hupostasis

Re: Windows Mobile Tanking?

20 Nov 2015, 08:14

Very few people have windows phones. Android comes first followed by Apple's iOS. Microsoft was far behind the times and never caught the smartphone market in time. Furthermore, they (at this current time) fail to capture any user base because:
#1 technical users want android (due to the flexibility and customization options of linux)
#2 average users want iOS (and iPhones) due to the aesthetics and simple design
#3 Microsoft can't produce half-working software with poor design anymore due to competition in the market now

Microsoft's phones neither provides the flexibility of android and doesn't appeal to users who want an aesthetic phone "that works". I used to have a windows phone and one RIDICULOUS problem is that the bing button was in the bottom center, and you would ALWAYS accidentally hit it. And every time you did, the phone would vibrate and wipe away what you had and load a bing page. No way to turn it off. Many users complained about this--supposedly it has been fixed in later versions but the damage has been done.

At work we use iPhones, they work fairly well. I don't use it for anything private, so I'm not worried about the issues regarding that. If you had to ask me which phones are the easiest to set up remotely over the phone (walking a user through setting up their email etc), I'd vouch iPhone. Android phones have too many GUI variations to walk a user who doesn't know anything remotely. Windows phones if I recall lacked some autodiscover features for exchange and other stuff that iOS handled without issue... but nobody uses them so...

Blackberries with BES are terrible. Which is why blackberry is basically gone at this point.

brainout
Site Admin

23 Nov 2015, 07:24

Yeah, all of my clients seem to be in iPhones. I'm still using a dumb phone (RAZR) and have no intention of changing it. I hate cellphones: no matter who's calling, they always sound as if underwater, even when calling my landline (which I insist they do).

hupostasis

23 Nov 2015, 09:36

brainout wrote:Yeah, all of my clients seem to be in iPhones. I'm still using a dumb phone (RAZR) and have no intention of changing it. I hate cellphones: no matter who's calling, they always sound as if underwater, even when calling my landline (which I insist they do).

You could just upgrade your landline phone to support good quality headphones. Although part of the underwater problem is the microphone from the person on the other end. Most businesses these days are switching to IP phones if you've ever seen those.

I'm not that interested in phones myself (my company provides the phone as it is required for some aspects of what I do). I need a real keyboard to get any work done.

brainout
Site Admin

24 Nov 2015, 10:23

hupostasis wrote:I'm not that interested in phones myself (my company provides the phone as it is required for some aspects of what I do). I need a real keyboard to get any work done.

Me neither. I keep my landline, and the RAZR is only for driving.

Did you know, Terry Myerson used to head Mobile? So that explains why Windows 10 GUI is patterned after a mobile phone. Which is odd, since the Nokia thingy didn't add anything, was written down, the Lumia 950 flagships are dogs, and the commitment to mobile is so low that Belfiore goes on a year-long vacation even before the Lumia ships, with a flip 'my job is done here'.

Now, I don't like any kind of slab phone. It has to be flip or forget it. For the same reasons as you just explained (bolded above): keyboard.

But alas, looks like Blackberry won't be around?