Microsoft LIES for Christmas

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
brainout
Site Admin

Microsoft LIES for Christmas

04 Dec 2015, 14:38

Ever notice, that when someone cannot counter facts provided, they have to resort to name calling? The latter is not ipse wrong, but it's no substitute for facts.

Well, that's the level to which MSFT has sunk, now. Now, it hires someone to lie for it who's not known as an MSFT shill, namely Kingsley-Hughes, here.

The man is not a lawyer, and instead of addressing the EULA problem, just ASSERTS that anyone trying to steer you away from Win10, is a 'grinch'. As if Win10 were some cute little town of happy animal people who never do any harm to anyone.

Notice how HE ASSERTS. As if that were sufficient. Oh, HE SAYS SO and you're just supposed to be relieved, now? Bullies do that.

Notice also, how name-calling at Christmas, deflects attention away from the GRISLY EULA which will wreck all your future Christmases (click here and start reading, if you don't already know why).

So this guy has no integrity, just like Ed Bott. They make money by writing articles which please those paying them. Not, by admitting the truth. Honest Journalism, this is not.

They get paid. I'm not being paid. I just want to die knowing I didn't cover this up, like they are doing.

hupostasis

Re: Microsoft LIES for Christmas

05 Dec 2015, 02:06

Oh wow, this guy is a real gem. There's a lot of classical lying techniques he's using (and it's heightened by the fact he's not a technical user). You know; I administrative environments, program applications and software, solder fresh components in computer hardware, deal with many types of operating systems and problems. These guys are journalists, so... all they can do is make up statements, or respond with *inappropriate content*.

With that said, I'll show you how Adrian Kingsley-Hughes sorely contradicts himself and shows he has a limited understanding of computer software:
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes wrote:And those who accuse Microsoft of spying have also not been able to produce any evidence. Their "evidence" consists of misunderstandings, half-truths, and outright fabrications. It's the sort of "proof" that would feel perfectly at home in a late night documentary about UFOs or Bigfoot.

Yes, it's true that Windows 10 collects and sends a lot of data to Microsoft, ranging from recordings of your voice when you talk to Cortana, to crash data when the wheels fall off your PC, but this data collection happens in order to make things work or to help things work better in the future, not because you're being spied on.

And you can turn off most of this off if you feel so inclined.

While it's true that the collection of telemetry data that's collected cannot be turned off (at least not by the average user, enterprise users do have that option), there's nothing underhanded going on. In fact, Microsoft's been doing this since the days of Windows XP.

#1 He says there's no evidence of Microsoft's spying (with insulting us by INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT not related to the subject using "UFOs" and "bigfoot"), BUT THEN SPINS AROUND and admits Microsoft is harvesting voice recordings and application exception data. Uhhh either Adrian doesn't know the English definition of spying, is willfully ignorant, or a lying journalist.
This is a classic example of someone who can't defend the actual information regarding the spying processes, and only has VAIN INSULTS.

#2 He ADMITS you cannot turn off *ALL* of the information harvesting services. Well, that's spying and malicious if the user cannot command full control of their machine (if my computer is doing things I'm not telling it to or want it to do, that's hostile). Especially since Microsoft isn't even telling us whether or not they're pulling system serial numbers or MAC addresses when sending data to vortex-win.data.microsoft.com. WHY DIDN'T HE BRING THAT UP? Ah, he probably hasn't even heard vortex-win.data.microsoft.com, all he can do is say we believe in UFOs. Useless, his article is useless.
In fact, infoworld has an article on the vortex-win server here which is FIVE BILLION miles more informative than Adrian Kingsley-Hughes:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/297905 ... osoft.html
Here's a good snippet from said article, Fahmida came to the same conclusion that I did (and guess what, SHE WAS AN I.T. ADMINISTRATOR):
Fahmida Y. Rashid wrote:The biggest issue with the CEIP and the new Diagnostic and Telemetry Tracking service being pushed onto older operating systems is the fact that it’s still not clear exactly what is being collected and sent. There are concerns that despite opting out of CEIP, the service continues to send data.

Yep, communication with vortex-win remains constant.

#3 He attempts to COVER telemetry and other spying software by LYING and saying it was in XP (to make people think they've always been using it). Nope. XP did have prompts when a program failed as an option to send the data to microsoft (and that's fine). But XP had no capabilities for sending audio data and other stuff to Microsoft. And, XP still allowed fine tuning of everything. Finally, telemetry was *not* present in XP, or any of the location tracking functionalities of it either. AND, WHY DID WINDOWS 7 & 8 REQUIRE SEPARATE UPDATES FOR TELEMETRY? If telemetry was never present in Win7 & 8, it sure the hell wasn't in XP SP1.
See, you have to be fairly stupid to compare an operating system that old with software and technologies now in windows 10, which is nearly fourteen years later. A lot changes.

Adrian Kingsley-Hughes wrote:when the wheels fall off your PC

I had to re-read that and laugh to myself. Obviously his intended audience isn't aimed at a fully fledged I.T. administrator who'd NEVER use that sort of vocabulary to define an error within an application or operating system. We're not fooled.

HAHAHA... wheels falling off your PC, wow. USELESS content, USELESS statements, useless.
Last edited by hupostasis on 05 Dec 2015, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

brainout
Site Admin

05 Dec 2015, 02:32

Wow, hupostasis, I didn't notice that other stuff. Thank you for bringing it up. Some of the commenters did notice it too, as I found out later. You'll be gratified to read the comments, in that article.

What I noticed, was that he neatly sidesteps the blatant EULA language telling you MSFT will slurp up all your data, as part of the Win10 agreement. Since that material is already fully furnished in the EULA thread, I'll not repeat it.

So the blatant statement by MSFT that YES it will slurp all your private data to make sure you are obeying its unilaterally-imposed, bypassing-all-due-process-of-law CODE OF CONDUCT, well.. he won't touch that. Cuz, he cannot refute it.

:diespam:

hupostasis

05 Dec 2015, 02:42

brainout wrote:Wow, hupostasis, I didn't notice that other stuff. Thank you for bringing it up. Some of the commenters did notice it too, as I found out later. You'll be gratified to read the comments, in that article.

What I noticed, was that he neatly sidesteps the blatant EULA language telling you MSFT will slurp up all your data, as part of the Win10 agreement. Since that material is already fully furnished in the EULA thread, I'll not repeat it.

So the blatant statement by MSFT that YES it will slurp all your private data to make sure you are obeying its unilaterally-imposed, bypassing-all-due-process-of-law CODE OF CONDUCT, well.. he won't touch that. Cuz, he cannot refute it.

:diespam:

What we really should be concerned about (and something that Ed Bott, Woody Leonhard, Adrian Kinglsey-Hughes, and all of the other *journalist clowns* keep ignoring), is that Microsoft hasn't published specifically all of the information being collected by vortex-win. Since they mention it's for diagnostics, I have a strong suspicion the system type (i.e. make and model) and internal serial number are collected. Determining what brand of computer I use is actually is a personal attribute that I wouldn't Microsoft to know, let alone my system serial number, MAC address, BIOS/UEFI revision...

Everyone just shouts "it's for diagnostics", "it's for user experience improvement". Okay... then why can't we have some technical release documents? Nobody knows what data is being sent to Microsoft, and I guarantee you personal data is mixed in. And if it was simply just that, why don't we have the option to completely turn off and remove everything, instead of having to resort to a THRONG of 3rd party software and editing to the system registry.

A *personal* computer is pretty much that. 'Soon as you start collecting any data off of it, you're bound to accidentally (or deliberately) collect aspects that identify the user of said computer. It's inevitable, just as being in the same room with someone, you're bound to breathe the same air as they have.

I'm not claiming any conspiracies here, rather, Microsoft is stepping on our toes for no good reason.