Windows 10 installed base grows, as businesses become less cautious

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
5735guy

28 Sep 2016, 09:07

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... -business/

As always Ed Bott has been spouting propaganda generated by the Microsoft Corporation (bearing in mind none of the statistics have been independently verified).

Mr Bott is the Microsoft Corporation's number one puppet and on a personal crusade to promote Windows 10. He says he doesn't get paid by the Microsoft Corporation to write all this drivel. Yeah right!

hupostasis

Re: Windows 10 installed base grows, as businesses become less cautious

28 Sep 2016, 13:39

Thanks for posting that!

I decided to take a look at the source where Ed Bott generated his ugly chart (btw the one with his Windows 7 usage is conveniently unavailable)... and there's a lot of things he didn't mention.
Operating Systems
Windows: 49%
7: 27.5%
10: 15.6%
8.1: 3.5%
XP: 1.1%
Vista: 0.8%
8: 0.6%
Other: < 0.1%

Countries
United States: 80.2%

For starters, all of the total devices that visit U.S. government websites, less than 50% were Windows-based machines. 80% of that traffic is exclusively by people in the States (so there's very little information on the international market / in fact, I would wager the 1.1% of XP is a result from the remaining 20%). And finally, most of this traffic is simply for people who need to view USPS tracking. *In total* there are still 11.9% more computers running Windows 7--even with this alternative data source.

So if less than 50% of the sample data is from machines that are actually Windows-based, how does that represent the PC market which is a lot higher than that? Furthermore, you're not going to get any foreign statistics with 80%+ of the users being American. I know a lot of Asian markets (for example) still like XP, and in China they have a fondness for IE 6 / I could never figure that out myself...

Windows 7 is going to remain as long as developers keep supporting it. Some software has only reached Windows 8 compatibility, so there's still some ways to go yet...

Gamers who do streaming for instance typically stay away from Windows 10 because they can't deal with forced updates and forced restarts. OEMs like HP / Lenovo / Dell *all* roll out their systems with Windows 7 almost by default because that's what businesses want.

I can say that with certainty since I work in the industry... Ed Bott does not.