Windows XP: Why it won't die for years to come. Steve Ranger telling exactly how it is in a few words

Guests and Members can post here, but only members can edit their posts. Debate Windows 10 here. For it, against it, you know the arguments. Hint: the more you reason out your posts, the more you pay attention to grammar and syntax and spelling, the more your thoughts will get heard. If you need help with problems, go instead to bleepingcomputer.com . They are really great folk.
Forum rules
Guests and members can post here. Only members can EDIT their posts.

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.
5735guy

Windows XP: Why it won't die for years to come. Steve Ranger telling exactly how it is in a few words

12 Apr 2017, 17:10

Windows XP: Why it won't die for years to come
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-xp ... s-to-come/

"And other stats show XP with a much lower share still, as my colleague Ed Bott has explored elsewhere."

The world according to Ed Bott. Just a Microsoft puppet and an obnoxious one at that.

It seems as though Steve Ranger is the only one at ZDNet to recognise this.

brainout
Site Admin

Re: Windows XP: Why it won't die for years to come. Steve Ranger telling exactly how it is in a few words

12 Apr 2017, 18:38

Yeah, well they can't admit MSFT laid an egg.

brainout
Site Admin

Re: Windows XP: Why it won't die for years to come. Steve Ranger telling exactly how it is in a few words

01 May 2017, 08:15

LOL adorable! XP also lives on in Linux. I've spent the past weekend trying to find a replacement distro for my beloved PCLinuxOS which bit the dust last year. Mageia is the same basic type, with two features other distros lack:

1) the ability to customize your desktop on the fly as profiles. So on installation you can choose them as THEMES like KDE or Cinnamon or MATE or three others I forget. So you're not stuck with one version of a desktop. That matters a bunch.

2) the freedom to tell stupid permissions to turn OFF.

I never had a permissions problem in XP, cuz you turn them ON, there. That idea seems inherent in the drakconf program Mageia (and PCLinuxOS) use.

So now if only Mageia would easily work on a stick. Will see. I tried it first that way and it bombs. Am installing it as I type on a spare Dell Latitude D630 internal hard drive I can just slide out as if it were a stick. Then I'll clone that drive to a stick, and see if the stick works. So then XP lives forever, and if I'm worried about online I just use the stick.